No one is perfect.
So why is it that when we think about starting a fitness/weight loss program or other lifestyle change, we begin with the expectation that we need to be perfect?
You have emotions, and stress, and habits that have developed over time. You may have a job, or school, or kids, others to care for, and days when you feel really crummy. If perfection is required, then why even bother?
But consider this: what if changing your body isn’t about passing or failing? What if ~any~ effort, no matter how small, could result in real, measurable progress?
It can – and does – work. And I can show you how.
When it comes right down to it, you know what to eat. You’re bombarded with nutrition information everywhere nowadays. What you really need is honest, considerate and compassionate guidance to help you make positive changes to your choices and habits.
That’s what nutrition coaching is all about. What nutrition coaching is NOT:
- Restrictive eating, where certain foods are “bad”
- Calorie counting, point counting, exchanges, or card counting (remember “Deal a Meal”?)
- Promoting one particular “diet” like Keto, Paleo, South Beach, Mediterranean
- Using “fake” foods like meal replacement shakes
- Obsessive weighing and measuring of food portions
- Specific daily meal plans**
- Focus on scale weight as an absolute measure of success/failure
What nutrition coaching IS:
- Identifying your “why” – the real, authentic, deep reason why you want to change
- Discovering that you always have choices – and coming up with creative strategies to help you make the choices that will get you to your goal
- A focus on small steps, one at a time, that turn into successes, which then form habits
- Process versus outcome; consistency versus perfection
- Learning to accept that better is better, and even a little effort can translate into real weight loss and health benefits
Just making some effort—however inconsistent and imperfect—can make you feel better about how your body looks, feels and moves.
When you feel good about the changes you see in your body – like less pain, more fitness, more energy – you become more resilient in all aspects of your life. Why? Because you gain positive energy, confidence, and resilience after and because you act, not the other way around. And each action you take only creates more action.
No perfection required.
Nutrition and exercise go hand in hand to achieve a healthy lifestyle. I’ll meet you where you are today, and that’s where we’ll begin. One step at a time. Just reach out to me here and let’s have a conversation about where you are, where you want to be, and the path to get you there.
** I’m a Certified Precision Nutrition Level I coach – not a registered dietician. As such, developing specific daily meal plans that instruct you exactly what foods to eat, when to eat, and how much is outside my scope of practice. If you have a particular health condition that has specific nutritional requirements, you should consult with a registered dietician to ensure your needs are addressed effectively.